Vignette® PowerView® Motorization
No matter what type of window coverings you’re looking to purchase, taking accurate measurements is crucial for properly-fitting coverings.
While this may seem easy, there is actually a lot of nuance that goes into measuring and fitting window coverings for every type of window.
Read on to learn the best way to ensure you have the right measurements and, just as importantly, the right window coverings for your windows.
The best way to measure your windows for window coverings is to work with a professional
No matter how precisely you are measuring your windows, it’ll never be as accurate as having your windows professionally measured and sized by one of Portland Window Coverings’ designers.
While it’s easy enough to break out the measuring tape and measure the dimensions of your window frame, every style of window covering is going to fit just a little bit different. This makes it imperative that a professional with experience and knowledge of the different types of coverings handle the measuring of your windows.
Choose the right coverings
Our designers can also help you choose the exact right window covering for your windows and home.
With their experience and deep knowledge of Hunter Douglas window coverings, our designers know what will work for your specific situation.
Portland Window Coverings measuring, consultation, and installation process
We are here to help make sure you discover the absolute perfect blinds for your home. Our process is designed around your convenience and to help empower you to make the best decision for your home. When you work with us, we’ll come to you and…
- Walk through your home, evaluate your needs, and any answer questions you have
- Show you samples of top styles and materials for your window type
- Take detailed measurements of your windows
- Provide a no-obligation estimate for your window coverings
Once you decide on the right window coverings for your home, our installers will come out and measure your windows once again to ensure the fit is perfect.
For your convenience, we are now offering virtual consultations for this process. We’re still able to make all of the same recommendations we always have, and will be there virtually to guide you through the measuring process. You’ll still have an expert installer measure your windows to confirm your measurements! Learn more.
Measuring window coverings on your own
Modern Precious Metals® Aluminum Blinds
First thing’s first: Inside mount or outside mount?
The first thing to consider when measuring for blinds, curtains, or shades is whether you’re measuring your windows for inside or outside mount coverings.
- Outside mount window coverings: Installed on the outside of the window frame, often on the trim above the window. Since they don’t fit inside the frame, they are generally considered a more flexible option. They work great for doors, shallow windows, blackout options, and for if you want to cover the window trim.
- Inside mount window coverings: A more classic window treatment, inside mount treatments fit on the inside of the frame. This style shows off your window frames, provides a clean & trim look, and takes up less space. Most window coverings are inside mount.
Steps for measuring your windows
Depending on whether you’re measuring for inside or outside mount window coverings, you’ll need to take different measurements for your treatments. For both…
- Do not take any allowances or deductions for your measurements. Necessary adjustments will be made by the designers and craftspeople.
- Double check every measurement. Mistakes are easy to make and the wrong measurements can be an extremely costly mistake
Measuring for outside mount window coverings
1. Make sure there is at least 2 inches of flat space above the window frame.
2. Measure the width of the area over the window you want covered. This will be at least the width of the window frame, but will generally be 1-2 inches more on each side depending on how much space you want them to cover.
3. Outside mount windows utilize a headrail on top of the window frame. Decide where this will go above the frame and measure down the length you’d like the coverings to go. This will be based on your preference. If you have a protruding sill, we recommend measuring down to the sill.
Measuring for inside mount window coverings
1. Measure the depth of the window frame. Every inside mount window covering will have a minimum depth required for proper installation.
2. Measure the width of your window at the top, middle, and bottom of the window. Use the narrowest of the 3 widths as your “width” measurement.
3. Measure the height of your window at the furthest left, center, and furthest right points. Use the longest of the three measurements as your height measurement.
Measuring for curtains? That’s a whole different ball game
While with blinds and shades you’re looking for a custom fit, with curtains the equation is a little trickier.
Curtains can be both inside and outside mount, but they always need to be much wider than the window itself.
To ensure a good fit, generally curtains must be at least twice as wide as your window. Curtains are designed for this ratio, and buying curtains twice the size will ensure you get the intended look.
Above all else, make sure you have a good idea what you’re buying
It’s not just the size you need to be sure about. While measuring your window for a good fit is crucial for a window covering solution you love, deciding on the right covering is just as important.
At Portland Window Coverings, our designers are here to help you choose the perfect window coverings for your home. Whether you’re looking for blinds, shades, or curtains, our experts will work with you to find the exact perfect solution for your home. We’ll also install them for you and measure them to ensure the absolute best fit available.
Contact us today to learn more and schedule your complimentary consultation.