Vignette® Traditional™ with LiteRise®
So you’ve bought your dream home. You’ve hired the movers, the Internet will be turned on at your new place in a week, you’ve updated your mailing address for your magazine subscriptions, and you found the perfect new park for walking the dog.
Wait — what are you forgetting?
The curtains, blinds, and shades!
Even if your new home will have window coverings when you move in, you’ll likely want to upgrade them to match your style. Plus, older window treatments can make an otherwise modern home feel drab and out-of-date.
We’ve put together this guide to help you start thinking about how to buy window treatments for your new home.
Just how important are window treatments?
You won’t believe how often we hear from people who are in desperate need of window treatments for their new homes. They think blinds and shades are something they can put off buying, but once they move in they realize they’ve made a mistake.
Blinds, curtains, and shades:
- Provide privacy. This is particularly important for rooms that face the street.
- Create shade. Who wants to be woken up at 5:00AM when the sun starts to rise?
- Regulate temperature. East and west-facing rooms get HOT without window coverings.
- Add to the ambiance. Want to watch a movie in your home theater room or cuddle up around the fireplace? Set the mood with custom window coverings.
- Protect furniture and artwork. The sun’s UV rays can damage fabrics, paintings, and other valuable possessions. Many products in Hunter Douglas’ collections provide great UV protection!
Take this quick quiz
As you’re planning your move — or after you’ve settled into your new home — ask yourself these questions. The answers will help guide you as you plan your purchase of blinds, shades, and curtains.
- Do you have custom blinds and curtains in your current home? If so, what do you like about them — and what could be better?
- How many rooms will need window coverings in your new home? Will you need blinds, shades, or curtains — what’s the difference?
- Will you be buying new furniture when you move? What design themes and motifs interest you?
- What colors and textures appeal to you?
- Will your new home have skylights or other hard-to-reach or uniquely-shaped windows? Don’t worry! Custom window coverings can be designed to fit any window or skylight.
Remember: Don’t worry if you have a hard time answering these questions! That’s what our team of experienced designers is here for. While we hope these questions will help you start thinking about what you need for your windows, we’re available to answer any questions you have. Contact us online to schedule a complimentary consultation.
Need a little help finding inspiration? Check out our most popular blog posts!
Have questions? You’re not alone!
We’ve worked with hundreds of new homeowners over the years to help them find the perfect window coverings. We’ve noticed a lot of the same questions come up time and again.
Are curtains out of style?
Definitely not! Many people have bad memories of the stuffy curtains from their grandparents’ houses and are a little hesitant about picking curtains for their new home. But we’ll show you curtains that are stylish and modern and will look awesome!
Should I buy curtains, shades, and blinds before I move in?
It really depends. You might want to see how much light each room gets and how you plan to use each room before committing to a specific window treatment. Our recommendation is to start thinking about window treatments sooner rather than later. That’s what we’re here for. We can take a look at your new home and start making recommendations for what will work in your new space.
Will I even need to buy new blinds? Do they come with the house?
Generally speaking, things that are physically attached to the house (like blinds) will be included with your purchase. Things that are moveable (like a chair, for example) won’t be included. However, home sellers know this and may not want to invest in high-quality window coverings when selling their home. Even if they are included, you might get low-quality blinds that you’ll want to replace. Check with your real estate agent to be sure!
Do all the window coverings in my home need to match?
Not necessarily. Blinds, shades, and curtains aren’t just decorative — they serve an important purpose, too! Different rooms may need different window treatments. You may want to maintain a cohesive theme throughout your home or you may prefer different styles for different rooms. Our designers will help you find the right look for every room in your new home!
Smart window coverings are a smart choice!
Is this the first time you’re thinking about buying custom window coverings? Has it been a while since you’ve shopped for blinds, shades, or curtains? You’re going to be AMAZED by how modern technology has changed how window treatments can improve your home.
With PowerView® Motorization from Hunter Douglas, you control your window treatments from your smartphone, tablet, preferred smart home device, or PowerView® pebble controller. It’s easy to set up integrations with Amazon Alexa, Google Home Assistant, Apple Homekit, and many other smart home automation systems. Wondering how you’ll use your smart window coverings? Here are a few ideas:
- Set blinds in your master suite to open on a schedule to let natural light rouse you gently after a restful night’s slumber
- Open and close window coverings when you’re on vacation to make it look like someone is home
- Close window coverings during the hottest part of the day to reduce your reliance on A/C
Schedule your consult
We’re offering both in-person and virtual consults.
For a virtual consult, using your phone or tablet we’ll “tour” your home, taking a look at your windows and learning more about your ideas. We’ll answer any questions you have and provide our expert advice on what to do next.